Calamarine is oil made from by-product of a food grade squid (calamari) and it is excellent Omega 3 fatty acid supplement.
Calamari oil is more powerful than fish or krill oil, meaning it will give the same benefit with much less supplement. It is also eco-friendly and sustainable source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
Why is Omega 3 important?
The typical American diet is usually low in Omega-3 fatty acids, so using proper supplements would be beneficial for overall health and well-being.
These fatty acids are essential because humans can’t survive without them and human body is not equipped to produce them itself. They have great benefits for the health of our cardiovascular system, and have also been linked to improvements in blood pressure, arterial inflammation and HDL cholesterol. Because they can’t be synthesized in our body their importance in our diet is significant.
There are three different types of this fatty acid:
- ALA (alpha-linoleic-acids)
- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)
- EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)
The best Omega-3 supplements should offer marine source of EPA and DHA, and content of DHA should be higher than EPA.
Why is calamari oil better than fish or krill oil?
Calamari oil is the highest known source of DHA and currently the most ecologically sustainable. This oil has many advantages over regular fish or krill oil:
- It has the highest DHA in comparison to fish and krill oil
- Doesn’t have the “fishy taste” when consumed
- Gives the same benefits with less supplement (as it is higher in DHA)
- It is ecologically sustainable
- Preventing cardiovascular diseases – through adequate intake of omega 3 heart will become more strong and it will also help reduce cholesterol
- Improving eye health – protects eyes from dry eye syndrome and macular degeneration, decreases the chance of glaucoma and high eye pressure
- Plays a great role in body’s metabolism – helps strengthen against diseases and promotes healthy development
- Improves mental agility – reduces the chance of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Helps prevent osteoporosis and keeps joints healthy
- Reduces the chance of developing depression
- Improves skin health
Organic and eco-friendly
It’s considered eco-friendly because the fishery of squid is conducted by using unbaited barbless hooks, which don’t come in contact with coral reefs, and therefore have no impact on marine environment. It also doesn’t require squid catching for the goal of using them to extract calamari oil, but rather it is extracted from unused parts of the squid.
The process of production includes cold filtration, organic filtration, detoxification and concentration methods. It is sustainable as the biomass of the squid increases even with the harvesting trend, because harvest methods target adult specimens, leaving young ones to grow and reproduce again with time.
Unlike most fish, calamari have a short life cycle of about 450 days, which means that there is much lower chance for toxins to build up in their bodies.
Best Omega 3 supplements
Anyone who is not consuming recommended servings of fish in their diet will benefit from supplements containing Omega-3. People with heart disease are usually advised to take 1 g (1000 mg) daily of DHA and EPA combined from fish oil.
One of the best Calamari-source Omega 3 supplements on the market is Marine D3. It’s unique formula also provides Vitamin D3 and antioxidants to your body, making it an excellent choice if you’re both Vitamin D and Omega 3 deficient.